Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Book Review: Don't Even Think About It - Sarah Mlynowski

This book, I was fortunate enough to receive an Advanced Reader ECopy through Net Galley, as she is one of my favorite authors.



From the GoodReads webiste: "Contemporary teen fiction with romance, secrets, scandals, and ESP from the author of Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have).

We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. Now we all know that Tess is in love with her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That, um, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper.

Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming. Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same.
So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening."
I'm a sucker for YA, especially when it involves some sort of paranormal element. The whole telepathy thing is not something I've encountered in any of the YA books that I've read so far so I thought it was awesome, and it made me way more aware of the thoughts that go through my head every day. I can only imagine the pros and cons of having telepathy, and most of those were pointed out in this story. Not only was I more aware of my thoughts, but it made me start to think about what may be in other peoples' heads as I'm talking to them. LOL!

It would've been cool to get a little more background on how some of the flu shot batches got botched, but that info isn't all that integral to the story - it'd just be for the nerd in me. :) I can almost see a second book out of this. Not entirely sure from what angle, but I think it would be possible. 

Add this to the list of Sarah Mlynowksi books that I have really enjoyed (which has been every single one I've read, lol)! It's good for a quick beach vacation read, or a stay-cation read.

No comments:

Post a Comment