Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Book Review: Divergent - Veronica Roth

Ok, I had wanted to read this for some time and never got around to it. Since I heard about the movie being made, it slowly eeked up to the top of my To Read list. And finally, now that the movie is out, and with the help of a coupon to use Audible for three months for $0.95, I was able to read, er, listen to it.


From the GoodReads website: "In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue - Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is - she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are - and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves.... or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series - dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance."
This is actually more of a 3 1/2 stars (out of 5) rating for me. I liked it, but I didn't love it. The first 60% was just so slow. I understand there's a need for character and plot development, and knowing that this is a series is the only thing that kept me going on it. It's a good thing I listened to the audiobook because if I was reading it, I probably would've stopped. 

As I've said before, I love YA Dystopian reads, and I'm sure I'll love the second book more than the first one. I was actually considering not seeing the movie until it got down to the last quarter of the book. 

Going back to my character development comment, there are a lot of main and secondary characters that you're introduced to in this book, and they all play an important role in the story at some point. 

One thing that I'm wondering about is that it sounds like it takes place in what used to be Chicago. And so far, that's the only area that has been mentioned in the book. What about the rest of the world? Are these the only people left at this time? Does every city operate with these five factions? Was that explained at some point and I missed it? 

In any case, I am set to see the movie and ready to read the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment