Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

C'mon, really?

Ok, seriously, I know there is a forest (yes, in the literal sense) right behind my apartment, but why does nature insist on being inside my apartment instead of out? This morning, after I got done brushing me teeth, (Remember, I said, “after,” so all the water and everything has run down the drain.) a freakin’ earwig comes crawling up from the depths of the drain. And I was like, Really? REALLY? Unbelievable. How did that thing make it UP the drain? How? Well, doesn’t matter now because he went for another water ride around the toilet bowl.

All these bugs and bats make it sound like I live in a shit hole. But it’s really not. The building might be a little old as I’m sure it was built in the 70’s at the very least….any maybe that’s how so many critters get in there. Anyway though, it’s pretty nice actually. The city I live in isn’t huge by any means, but it is a lot bigger than the sticks that I grew up and went to school in. It’s one of those cities where there is a lot of “city,” but right next to it, you’ll find “country” too. As in my case – I live right off the main road through town. I think I remember seeing an article once that said it was one of the busiest streets in the state. And I live not even a quarter of a mile off the road, yet there is a forest directly behind me. As in, I walk out of my basement not even 20 feet and boom, I’m in the woods. There have been deer on my concrete slab more times than I can count. (The deer here are NOT afraid of people or cars, something I’m still not used to after ten years of living here.) Given all that though, it’s kind of a good transition for someone like me, coming from the sticks. I’m ready now to move to a bigger city, but I’m stuck due to custody restraints and all that fun stuff. But, I digress….

The apartment itself is pretty nice in regards to size for what you pay for. It’s almost like a condo or a townhouse. Only instead of having an upstairs, I have a main floor and a basement. And the basement is a half finished walkout, which is really nice. I believe the concrete slab I mentioned before is meant to be used as a patio. I had high hopes for a flower garden and maybe a few home grown vegetables out there when I first moved in. But because of the trees, it hardly gets any sunlight and in my opinion, tends to be cold because of all the shade.  I do have a table and chair set out there, but never go out because of the cold and bugs. Plus the trees are always pooping tree stuff all over….let’s just say, I don’t do well with “real” nature.

I promise my blogs are not always going to be me complaining about some random bug (or bat) being in my apartment. The ones that I find crawling on the walls or anything like that just don’t merit being written about. It’s the crazy that stands out. Like how a bug can make its way up the drain after water has been going the opposite way.

So I just finished the book I’ve been reading. The Secret of Joy by Melissa Senate. I am by no means any good at writing reviews of books. But I’ll give it a try. On the GoodReads website, I gave this book four out of five stars. It’s a bit of a slow starter and I usually only give books 20 to 40 pages to hook me. (I feel bad about this sometimes and if I didn’t have such a long TBR list, I would make myself read the entire book.) Since this is a Melissa Senate book, I knew better than to put it down. And in the end, it did not disappoint. I love how she made the characters feel like real people that I might know and her descriptions of Wicasset, Maine make me want to vacation there even more. (I’ve always wanted to go to Maine.) I love the way the story played out with the conflicts between the characters and I even got teary a few times. A few tears always automatically means a good book to me. Seems you can never go wrong with a book by Melissa Senate. I haven’t read all of hers yet, but I’ve read most and I’ve liked every single one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment