Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

Book Reiview: The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

I finished this last night, and let me say, if you read it, you'll need some Kleenex. I have to say, the ending was not what I expected it to be, and I don't want to elaborate or else I'll give it away. 

It's an awesome story about different kinds of women of all different ages, that as you read it, you come to feel like you know them personally. Georgia is such a strong character, and like many of the other characters in the book, I admire her. Dakota is such a sweetheart, and I love that she's so into baking. Peri is the budding fashion entrepreneur that I would've liked to have been (and hey, you never know, still could be some day). Darwin is the biggest feminist and a little abrasive in the beginning, but I loved her in the end as much as I loved the rest of the characters. I think I can say that Anita was my favorite, so full of wisdom and good taste, I could definitely use my own Anita. K.C. is good for a few laughs and a good example of how you can make a complete career change later in life. That's just a few of the characters (my favorites), and I look forward to the next book in the series. 

I feel like this book tackled so many issues - modern feminism, high risk pregnancy, the big C, old past times that have become popular again, career changes later in life, dating even later in life, women entrepreneurism, knowing your roots, interracial relationships, etc., etc. 

This is one of those books that has been on my to read list for a while, and I'm glad that I finally got around to reading it. And, to be honest, I'm glad I didn't read it sooner because I don't think I would've been able to appreciate the issues tackled in the book had I read it when it first came out in 2007. 

I also like that it has bonuses at the end - a pattern for Darwin's scarf, and a recipe for Dakota's muffins. 

7912145

From the GoodReads website, "Juggling the demands of her yarn shop and single-handedly raising a teenage daughter has made Georgia Walker grateful for her Friday Night Knitting Club. Her friends are happy to escape their lives too, even for just a few hours. But when Georgia's ex suddenly reappears, demanding a role in their daughter's life, her whole world is shattered. 

Luckily, Georgia's friends are there, sharing their own tales of intimacy, heartbreak, and miracle making. And when the unthinkable happens, these women will discover that what they've created isn't just a knitting club: it's a sisterhood."

No comments:

Post a Comment