Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Book Review: Ember Island - Kimberley Freeman

Easily the best book I've read so far this year. This very well could be my gateway book into historical fiction, a genre I never had any interest in before. I love how the story alternated between the present and the late 1800's. But it wasn't just that, it was the way the story from the past and the story from the present tied together. This was definitely a book that I wanted to keep turning the page to find out what happens next and very reluctantly had to put down more often than I'd like since I haven't had a whole lot of time to read lately. I didn't want the story to be over either, but I feel that the author stopped at a great place to let me draw my own conclusions as to how Tilly and Nina's lives went on beyond the last page. 

Definitely adding the rest of Kimberley Freeman's novels to my to read list!

This is one of those, if it's not on your list, get it on there, and if it is, put it at the top type of books.

18143967

From the GoodReads website: "1890: Orphaned as a small child, Tilly Kirkland found a loving, safe home with her grandfather in Dorset. But nineteenth-century England is an unforgiving place for a young woman with limited means and as her grandfather's health fails, it seems perfect timing that she meets Jasper Dellafore. Yet her new husband is not all he seems. Alone in the Channel Islands, Tilly finds her dream of a loving marriage is turning into a nightmare.
2012: Bestselling novelist Nina Jones is struggling with writer's block and her disappointing personal life. Nothing is quite working. After a storm damages Starwater, her house on Ember Island, she decides to stay for a while and oversee the repairs: it s a perfect excuse to leave her problems behind her on the mainland. Then Nina discovers diary pages hidden in the walls of the old home. And a mystery unravels that she is determined to solve.
Though the two women are separated by years, Starwater House will alter the course of both their lives. Nina will find that secrets never stay buried and Tilly learns that what matters most is trusting your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment